ACI Commentary

Hi All,

ACI has set a limit for steel reinforcement in a concrete column - 1% to 8%.  But on the commentary, it limits the maximum reinforcement to 4% if the rebars are to be lap spliced.  One consultant ignores this commentary saying that it is not a part of the code.  Can anyone please give me his opinion on this?  I know that the British code is clear on this matter.

Also, a section of a concrete column has rebars more than 12% just above the floor slab due to 28-32mm rebars coming from the lower level and 34-32mm rebars going up (lap splice location) and additional 6-32mm rebars.  Aside from the code requirements and possible honeycombing, are there any other negative effects of these excessive reinforcement?

Regards to all.

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro-*Terms