Re: Shear Wall Design

I would talk with CSI about this and they can tell you how to modify your floor elements.

Since the floor element has out-of-plane stiffeness, it is now acting as a beam spanning between your shear walls, which results in a moment frame like behavior (bending moments in walls and slabs, and the slab moments result in horizontal shears being generated into the shear walls).  There are horizontal shears that likely are developed in the shear walls due to the flexure of the slab under its selfweight that typically wasn't observed in earlier computer models since the floor element didn't have out-of-plane stiffeness.  Now that floor elements can be modeled with out-of -plane stiffness you see horizontal shears being developed in to the shear walls from gravity loads.  The question is do these shear actually exist to the maginitude reported by the computer program, or due to the typical floor level at at time construction methods used in a building erection you don't actually see these types of horizontal shears occur.  The computer program applies gravity loads instantaneously to the entire structure for dead and live loads for all floor levels of the building, and doesn't reflect gravity load redistribution due to the nature of construction where floors are constructed a floor level at a time, and loads are added a floor level at a time for the height of the building. The actual framing detailing used of course would impact this as well (pinned connection, fixed connection, steel partially yielding under gravity loads, etc.).

CSI can better describe this than I have.

Michael Cochran SE.