Dynamic Analysis

How many of you have done a dynamic analysis due to earthquakes?  Did you pick up doing this on your own or did you take a dynamics class? I have not ever had to do structural dynamics but I know it can be very difficult and I am just wondering if it is something you can pick up on your own if you are required to do it. I figure that most people are using software (SAP etc.) to do the majority of the work but I would like to be able to do it all by hand if I had to. Do you think that most engineers that doing earthquake dynamics really know what they are doing or are they just relying on the computer?

Will