Re: Dynamic Analysis

Dynamic analysis of a structure only a few floors high is fairly easy, but as the number of modes increase it becomes fairly complicated.  I've used dynamic analysis using a computer program, but verified some of the results by hand.  Most of the fundamentals were covered by the typical college level dynamics course.

Will Haynes <gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
How many of you have done a dynamic analysis due to earthquakes?  Did you pick up doing this on your own or did you take a dynamics class? I have not ever had to do structural dynamics but I know it can be very difficult and I am just wondering if it is something you can pick up on your own if you are required to do it. I figure that most people are using software (SAP etc.) to do the majority of the work but I would like to be able to do it all by hand if I had to. Do you think that most engineers that doing earthquake dynamics really know what they are doing or are they just relying on the computer?

Will

Mark Pemberton, S.E.

Pemberton Engineering
502 Mace Blvd., Suite 2B