From: "Rich Lewis" <seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Sloshing Damping
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:31:20 -0600

Thanks all for your response.

As you can tell from my question I'm a little confused.  I'm designing a
foundation for storage silos for plastic pellets. I'm in the lowest seismic zone so I don't think seismic will govern my design, but I want to check it.

ASCE 7-02 section 9.14.7.3.10 is for elevated tanks for liquid and granular
material.  It says to design by an approved standard or by section 9.14.5.
The table for approved standards doesn't have a dry granular material
standard.  I'm looking at section 9.14.5 and it gives a seismic shear value
in equation 9.14.5.2 What I'm wondering is how sloshing affects this value.
Will it increase it or decrease it.  What damping is included in this shear
value?  The commentary doesn't appear to address it.

Thanks.

Rich

  _____