Re: ASCE 07-2005 Unbalanced Snow

Any research on the unbalanced snow load provisions should start with Michael O'Rourke and Peter D Wrenn authors of "Snow Loads: A Guide to the use and Understanding of the Snow Load Provisions of ASCE 7-02" (ISBN 0-7844-0725-9) and many papers on snow loads including several in the ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering (Exact title???).  There are Two (2) pages of referenced papers in the above book, not all of them are on unbalanced snow loads but some are useful.  I don't know if or when a new edition of Snow Loads will be coming out for ASCE 7-05.

Jim Hannah
----- Original Message -----
To: SEAINT
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 9:39 AM
Subject: ASCE 07-2005 Unbalanced Snow

ASCE 07 has changed the unbalanced snow load requirements yet again.  The snow load profile places the maximum unbalanced load at the ridge.  As someone who has spent a fair amount of time in snow country, I don't think I have ever seen that load pattern.  The commentary indicates there are "studies" available to document this pattern but doesn't cite any references.  Does anyone know those references or studies?

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT