Re: ASCE 07-2005 Unbalanced Snow

Title: Re: ASCE 07-2005 Unbalanced Snow

Here's a link to an article co-authored by Professor O'Rourke that deals with this subject, primarily as it impacts low-rise wood frame structures:

http://www.awc.org/pdf/PaperSnowProvisionsASCE7-05web.pdf

There is some discussion of the background and several examples and tables. This paper will appear in the December issue of Structure Magazine.

There was also a paper that appeared in the August 2006 issue of Frame Building News called Review of ASCE 7-05 unbalanced snow

load provisions and their effect on building design. I was able to view it online as a subscriber and subscribing is free:

http://www.framebuildingnews.com/

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.