Re: Old concrete

Good idea.  I was planning on doing something similar at some of the extreme situations (4000# units); but, I may need to do the same at the smaller units.  Thanks.

bks

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: Old concrete

Brian,

        I'm just doing the same thing as I write.

        As I see it you have three options.

1.)     I wouldn't rely on the slab to support new loading without a detailed evaluation including some cores and testing the rebar.  This is expensive and it might not pass; therefore, rule out option 1.

2.)     Build four posts from 4" or 6" pipe, c/w half inch (or so) base plates, of a height to clear any roofing material (a few inches?) and drill anchor them to the slab above the beams.  Build a structural steel framework supported on the posts and designed to carry the roof top units.  It might be prudent to check out the roof beams (it probably is) but I would be very surprised if they didn't pass.

3.)     Repeat of option 2.) but place the posts directly over building columns.  This will take a little more structural steel that option 2.) but will eliminate any need to check out slabs and beams.

        Hope this helps.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson