From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 11:23 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Guard Rail at Loading Dock

I’m designing a depressed loading dock at an existing facility.  They are cutting the outside paving back to ramp down.  I’m wondering how far I need to take a guard rail back along the ramp.  IBC 1012.1 states I need a rail if the drop off is 30 inches or greater.  I was wondering if someone knew if there was an OSHA regulation that superseded that requirement.

There is a man-door adjacent to this loading dock ramp.  Pedestrian traffic is possible.  I don’t think it technically qualifies as a ramp per IBC 1010.8.  That section implies that rails are needed on both sides of ramps.

I would appreciate any further insight.  Thanks!

Rich