re: post-frame building

Andrew,

The posts only went in to the ground about 48".  They were arguably restrained by the non-frost protected slab edge, whatever good that is or isn't...  I checked the pole embedment theories in IBC and the 6" wide post was no where near adequately embedded or wide enough to meet the allowable soil pressures.

They do have pressure-treated glu lams and lvls.  Not my idea of a great construction detail for a "permanent" structure.

There is another such pole building around housing a new MRI center.  And there is one that houses a child's play park.  Seems that the agricultural buildings are often built better!

Thanks,
Jim

"Andrew Kester, PE" <akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
Jim:
How far are the posts embedded into the ground? If they are driven like piles deep enough, they can develop the lateral capacity via cantilever action. Not sure about all the other pieces of the building...  Also if it is a pure agricultural building, you can usually use an I=0.85 which will reduce your wind pressures some.

Do they make glulams now that you can expose to moisture or worse embed in soil?

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew Kester, PE
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC