RE: informal survey of listserve users

Do nothing fancy.  Keep it simple.

----Original Message Follows----
From: MWJohnson(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: informal survey of listserve users
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:49:58 -0800

Hello all.
After a long absence from this listserver in an attempt to reduce the
flood of email that I get every day (futile, by the way), I have rejoined
the server with the basic purpose to ask you all some questions about this
service.

SEAOSC, the sponsor of this listserver, is in the process of revamping our
web pages. As a part of this, it is likely that they will restructure both
the hardware and software aspects of the servers, including the
maintenance of the servers.  Since the listserver is, at least in terms of
bandwidth use, a large part of our server, and also since the listserver
has largely been unchanged since it's original introduction, it seems
appropriate to study if there might be better technologies that we might
introduce to improve this service.

I do not pretend to be an expert in this stuff, in fact I am quite the
opposite.  I have done some looking around and it seems that format
options are (a) the email messaging system that we now use, (b) something
called "blogs" that I don't know much about, and (c) a message board
format that many organizations use.  An example of an engineering message
board can be found at www.eng-tips.com, which seems to have a nice
organization but does not seem to promote responses to questions as much
as our current system.  Also, it seems a bit too broad in the range of
topics that it covers.

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is, do you the users want to see any
changes made in how this server operates, and if so, what?

regards,
Martin W. Johnson, S.E., SECB