From: MWJohnson(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com [mailto:MWJohnson(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 8:50 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: informal survey of listserve users

Hello all.
After a long absence from this listserver in an attempt to reduce the flood of email that I get every day (futile, by the way), I have rejoined the server with the basic purpose to ask you all some questions about this service.

SEAOSC, the sponsor of this listserver, is in the process of revamping our web pages. As a part of this, it is likely that they will restructure both the hardware and software aspects of the servers, including the maintenance of the servers.  Since the listserver is, at least in terms of bandwidth use, a large part of our server, and also since the listserver has largely been unchanged since it's original introduction, it seems appropriate to study if there might be better technologies that we might introduce to improve this service.

I do not pretend to be an expert in this stuff, in fact I am quite the opposite.  I have done some looking around and it seems that format options are (a) the email messaging system that we now use, (b) something called "blogs" that I don't know much about, and (c) a message board format that many organizations use.  An example of an engineering message board can be found at www.eng-tips.com, which seems to have a nice organization but does not seem to promote responses to questions as much as our current system.  Also, it seems a bit too broad in the range of topics that it covers.

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is, do you the users want to see any changes made in how this server operates, and if so, what?

regards,
Martin W. Johnson, S.E., SECB