[Fwd: Re: informal survey of listserve users]

I think the present format is great for me. I quit using engineering tips as it was overwhelming.
Gary

*/MWJohnson(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com/* wrote:

   Hello all.
   After a long absence from this listserver in an attempt to reduce
   the flood of email that I get every day (futile, by the way), I have
   rejoined the server with the basic purpose to ask you all some
   questions about this service.

   SEAOSC, the sponsor of this listserver, is in the process of
   revamping our web pages. As a part of this, it is likely that they
   will restructure both the hardware and software aspects of the
   servers, including the maintenance of the servers.  Since the
   listserver is, at least in terms of bandwidth use, a large part of
   our server, and also since the listserver has largely been unchanged
   since it's original introduction, it seems appropriate to study if
   there might be better technologies that we might introduce to
   improve this service.

   I do not pretend to be an expert in this stuff, in fact I am quite
   the opposite.  I have done some looking around and it seems that
   format options are (a) the email messaging system that we now use,
   (b) something called "blogs" that I don't know much about, and (c) a
   message board format that many organizations use.  An example of an
   engineering message board can be found at www.eng-tips.com, which
   seems to have a nice organization but does not seem to promote
   seems a bit too broad in the range of topics that it covers.

   Basically, I guess what I'm asking is, do you the users want to see
   any changes made in how this server operates, and if so, what?

   regards,
   Martin W. Johnson, S.E., SECB

Roger Davis
Architect