    *From:* MWJohnson(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com [mailto:MWJohnson(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com]
    *Sent:* Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:50 AM
    *To:* seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
    *Subject:* informal survey of listserve users

    Hello all.
    After a long absence from this listserver in an attempt to reduce
    the flood of email that I get every day (futile, by the way), I have
    rejoined the server with the basic purpose to ask you all some
    questions about this service.

    SEAOSC, the sponsor of this listserver, is in the process of
    revamping our web pages. As a part of this, it is likely that they
    will restructure both the hardware and software aspects of the
    servers, including the maintenance of the servers.  Since the
    listserver is, at least in terms of bandwidth use, a large part of
    our server, and also since the listserver has largely been unchanged
    since it's original introduction, it seems appropriate to study if
    there might be better technologies that we might introduce to
    improve this service.

    I do not pretend to be an expert in this stuff, in fact I am quite
    the opposite.  I have done some looking around and it seems that
    format options are (a) the email messaging system that we now use,
    (b) something called "blogs" that I don't know much about, and (c) a
    message board format that many organizations use.  An example of an
    engineering message board can be found at www.eng-tips.com, which
    seems to have a nice organization but does not seem to promote
    seems a bit too broad in the range of topics that it covers.

    Basically, I guess what I'm asking is, do you the users want to see
    any changes made in how this server operates, and if so, what?

    regards,
    Martin W. Johnson, S.E., SECB