RE: Hiring practices

Robert –

So, in your opinion the key is to work with a recruiting company like your company.  Of course…

How much does it cost for a company to hire a company like yours?  We’ve got another recruiter working for us right now, but so far we’re not too impressed.  I get the feeling that they’re just posting the job on Monster and waiting for people to come to them.  We could easily do that ourselves.  What would your company do that is above and beyond that?

What sells the position other than the salary we’re offering (which is definitely competitive for the experience level we’re expecting)?  Is being located in California the issue that’s really limiting us?  Are people more apt to willing to move to Oregon, Washington, Texas, et cetera?

Sincerely,

Josh Plummer, SE

RISA Technologies

joshp(--nospam--at)risatech.com

(949) 951-5815 (voice)

(949) 951-5848 (fax)

Riquelme, Robert wrote:

Josh

I work as an Civil Engineering recruiter, specializing in developing relationships with Infrastructure Design Engineers and Construction Managers nationally.

In answer to your questions:

1. Everybody is in the same situation recruiting professionals into California because of cost of living and because there is a limited candidate pool that is getting more limited.

2. People move for a variety of reasons, but the top two reasons I see for making a change is to accelerate career growth/job stretch, or a geographical change.

3. Yes it is a booming market. The smart money is for professionals to tap into an information source to explore career opportunities to see if the opportunities are superior to what your doing today. Most people don't move just for compensation, but if you want to make more money now is the time to do it.

4. Yes, recruiters are busier than ever, again it is also a good bet for employers as well as professionals to align themselves with recruiters that are networked into their industry space in order to tap into a very busy and passive candidate pool that does not have time or interest to be looking at job boards. Professionals will make a move if they are either contacted by their own personal network or by a recruiter who specializes in developing relationships with professionals, taking the time to understand what information would be of value to them and then matching them up with the opportunity they desire. Note: Just like many professionals are passive, allot of the key opportunities are passive and not posted on job boards.

5. The key with anything is relationships, so if you want a key opportunity or you want to recruit a key professional for your company, align yourself with a recruiter that works in your space to make the introductions.

Robert Riquelme

National Executive Recruiter

Infrastructure Engineering and Construction Management

Office 800 282-0360 x125, Cell 858 401-2855