Modulus of rupture

Greetings,

Could anyone tell me if modulus of rupture of concrete is a service limit state or an ultimate limit state?

I think modulus of rupture is an ultimate limit state and using fr to compute Mcr to determine the degree of cracking under service loads is not quite true because of the modulus of rupture being a ultimate limit state.

Could someone throw more light on this?

Thanks
Anantha

ANANTHA NARAYAN, E.I.