RE: Modulus of rupture

fr is used to calculate Mcr which is compared to Ms (a service moment).

________________________________

From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thu 12/7/2006 5:01 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Modulus of rupture

fr=7.5(f`c)^.5

It's just a variable. All concrete code is Ultimate Strength. This is just one variable on the path to determining the ultimate strength.

If you are using it to calculate deflections (long term cracking) then the loads are a little more complex than service loads ( i.e. duration of load etc...). It's been a while, but the loads are unfactored I believe but you give them different durations that trigger other multipliers.

ACI has commentary in the code and most concrete textbooks should discuss it.

hth,
-gm