Re: Caisson cold joint

Jim,

In my experience, the anchor bolt is furnished by the pole vendor. That implies that the length of the anchor bolt is also given by the pole vendor. It is also common for the electrical conduit to be brought buried, below grade (2' to 3'), all the way up to the pole after which it is carried within the hollow pole. I have designed several foundations for electrical poles. However, so far, a construction contractor has never asked me a question such as you are confronted with.

I don't have a problem with the suggested method of caisson construction. I would stipulate, however, that top of the first stage concrete is cleaned with water jet(to remove all loose material and to expose coarse aggregate) and a concrete bonding agent applied, before placing concrete for the last 4' of caisson.

Oh, by the way, the reinforcing bars should be continuous through the joint.

Rajendran

Jim Wilson <wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:
100ft tall light poles are being erected on 4ft diameter caisson's at a local university.  The contractor has asked if he can place a cold joint down about 4ft below the top of the caisson.  This will facilitate installation of the anchor bolts and templates as well as electrical conduits.

Is this generally acceptable and is it common?  The Engineer for the pole manufacturer designed the foundation, but they have not been asked about the cold joint.  Maybe that answer needs to come from the owner's engineer, but they are electical and not qualified to answer the question.  So they in turn asked me but I know very little about caissons and told them I would at least ask the appropriate people.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA