Re: Caisson cold joint

ACI 336.1 says that uncased or bell excavated drilled piers are to be completely placed during one working day. It also says that cased piers must be placed in one continuour operation unless directed by the Owner's rep. If there is a construction joint it needs to be treated like a construction joint in a column or beam. It says that dowels or shear key should be provided when directed by the Owner's rep.  The caissons will have to act as beam-columns to support the lights so they should be treated pretty much like beam-columns above grade.

  Roger Davis
  Architect
  SDS Architects, Inc.

Jim Wilson <wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:
    100ft tall light poles are being erected on 4ft diameter caisson's at a local university.  The contractor has asked if he can place a cold joint down about 4ft below the top of the caisson.  This will facilitate installation of the anchor bolts and templates as well as electrical conduits.

  Is this generally acceptable and is it common?  The Engineer for the pole manufacturer designed the foundation, but they have not been asked about the cold joint.  Maybe that answer needs to come from the owner's engineer, but they are electical and not qualified to answer the question.  So they in turn asked me but I know very little about caissons and told them I would at least ask the appropriate people.

  Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

  Jim Wilson, PE
  Stroudsburg, PA

Roger Davis
  Architect

[...]