Re: Concrete Boonding Agent (was: Caisson cold joint)

> From: Padmanabhan Rajendran <rakamaka(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>

> I don't have a problem with the suggested method of caisson construction.
> I would stipulate, however, that top of the first stage concrete is
> cleaned with water jet(to remove all loose material and to expose coarse
> aggregate) and a concrete bonding agent applied, before placing concrete
> for the last 4' of caisson.

I have encountered a concrete bonding agent specified on one project in
my career. Nobody on the site could explain to me why it was being used,
except that it was in the spec. Technically, I know what they do and I
know what characteristics they can develop across the interface. Perhaps
somebody can fill me in on the primary application and marketed purpose
of the product (the two may not be the same). Pros and cons? Anecdotes?

Regards
--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International