Re: Concrete Boonding Agent (was: Caisson cold joint)

The reason that I do not like bonding agents is
because most of them make a great bond breaker if the
second pour is not placed soon enough.  In addition
there are some re-wettable bonding agents that if they
are exposed to moisture in service will loose their
strength and as a result they are totally
unacceptable.

My practice is to have the surface roughened.  If I am
concerned about the shear capacity I will add some
additional reinforcement across the joint so that the
shear resisted by the concrete is resisted by shear
friction.

I make a distinction between a construction joint and
a cold joint.  A construction joint has the surfaces
roughened and the reinforcing is developed on both
sides of the joint while a cold joint does not.  Cold
joints are not allowed.