Long Pipeline Seismic Design

Title: Long Pipeline Seismic Design

I would second Harold Sprague's reference.  You also might want to get your hands on "Response of Buried Pipelines Subject to Earthquake Effects" by O'Rourke and Liu, available from the Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research in Buffalo, NY. One cautionary note I would give you is that all the methodology I have seen in the literature just deals with direct structural effects on the pipe due to ground motion. There is no established methodology I am aware of to evaluate water hammer effects, which can be appreciable. I have seen photographs of fire hydrants that have exploded from surge pressures during earthquakes.

Jim Lutz, P.E., S.E.
BHC Consultants, LLC
720 3rd Avenue, Suite 1200
Seattle, WA 98104-1820