Re: informal survey of listserve users - Yahoo Groups

On Dec 11, 2006, at 7:16 AM, Aswin Rangaswamy wrote:

Option 2b:  One of the options that I had proposed to SEAOSC was to try Yahoo Groups.
I'm a member of a yahoo group and sometime assistant listmom. Yahoo groups tend to be pretty high maintenance affairs, and spamming can be a big problem. Yahoo support is a almost non-existent when problems occur. There are apparently features which help with filtering e-mail and insuring that spammers don't subscribe to harvest e-mails, but getting help with implementation has been pretty much impossible. We had an ongoing problem with someone on the list who had an e-mail virus that sent occasional burst of spams, and we were never able to get any help from Yahoo with identifying the source of the e-mails, so he could be unsubscribed.

At the risk of sounding elitist, Yahoo provides unlimited access for lamers attracted to the high-tech, high-income sound of engineering. The piping design group I'm with is bombarded with requests to join by people who really can't contribute, which makes for some pretty awful posts, and the occasional flame wars between posters with hurt feelings and people (now and then myself, I'm forced to admit) who lose patience with requests for free engineering or copies of Code sections. I helped set up a system for vetting subscribers that seemed to work, but it took a lot of time to maintain. It's fair to add that many of the lamers simply lurk, but that's true of most lists.

That said, we've had pretty good luck with distribution and functioning in the absence of problems, but I'd rather keep the format we have.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/