From: "Jim Lutz" <Jim.Lutz(--nospam--at)bhcconsultants.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Long Pipeline Seismic Design
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:34:51 -0800

I would second Harold Sprague's reference.  You also might want to get
your hands on "Response of Buried Pipelines Subject to Earthquake
Effects" by O'Rourke and Liu, available from the Multidisciplinary
Center for Earthquake Engineering Research in Buffalo, NY. One
cautionary note I would give you is that all the methodology I have seen
in the literature just deals with direct structural effects on the pipe
due to ground motion. There is no established methodology I am aware of
to evaluate water hammer effects, which can be appreciable. I have seen
photographs of fire hydrants that have exploded from surge pressures
during earthquakes.

Jim Lutz, P.E., S.E.
BHC Consultants, LLC
720 3rd Avenue, Suite 1200