RE: seaint Digest for 12 Dec 2006

Michael -

The Deck properties must be sufficient for composite behavior.  This will be
tough for you for the following reasons:
1) Thickness of Slab must be at least 2.0 in (per I5.1-5)
2) Height of Studs must extend at least 1.5 in into slab above deck (per
I5.1-4)

If I were you, I might try a composite W8 (with camber to reduce dead load
deflection).

Alternatively, there are a couple of companies that specialize in open web
composite steel joists.  This might be a good application for them.  I
believe their names were Vescom and Hambro.  I never worked on a project
with them, so I can't give you too much information.  But, from what I
remember, they were supposed to be more cost effective on jobs with unusual
structural depth restrictions.

Sincerely,

Josh Plummer, SE

RISA Technologies