Re: Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

Could anybody throw some light on what  BIM movement stands for?

"refugio rochin" <fugeeo(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
12/13/2006 07:24 PM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

Recently I read an editorial from the magazine ICE from the Institution of Civil Engineers, and it discussed the future of design in relationship to the new kind of designs we are encountering in Structures.  In the developments, there is the BIM movement and FEMs which people are utilizing more and more for design.  For the future and the here and now, the movements in structural engineering design will be away from the design aspect, and concentrating on the checking aspects.  Global checks, and Overall stability ...  among other issues.

How do the engineers of SEAINT view these changes?  Is it a reality?  What are ways engineers these days are using to generate global checks on buildings?  And what other issues are found?

Hopefully together we can generate a set of tools to effectively evaluate a whole building, and leave behind a modern method for our future generation to pick up and carry forward into their own developments.

the views of the company.