RE: Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

Some of the large department store retail outlets use the software developed
and promoted as being BIM, for conducting virtual walk throughs of retail
settings. In this way they can see what a customer is most likely to see as
they enter the store and walk around. Then change the layout to effect the
greatest sales.

Not sure any have extended its use to product location and inventory
management of stock and its location in the store, and connected to point of
sale and security systems for such stock.

Basically the computer permits more and more information to be integrated
into a single model for decision making. But it takes time to build the
models, and the decisions made based on such models are not necessarily any
better than those made without.

Some organizations will benefit from the existing BIM packages; others need
to wait for further development, whilst others will hit serious problems
attempting to use BIM no matter how far BIM develops. Simply because it is
the wrong approach for their organizations. I'd say that for most
organizations BIM, is like using a D9 bulldozer where a bucket and spade
will suffice.

The vast majority of organizations using the full version of AutoCAD
wouldn't notice any difference if someone changed the License to AutoCAD LT
over night. Both the documentation and design process are unwarrantedly slow
and inefficient. To these organizations BIM will just represent another
major unwarranted cost with no productivity gain, but they will probably go
down that path none the less.

To properly evaluate the benefits of BIM or other software, consultants need
to turn their engineering eye inwards and look at their own activities. That
can be scary because, it questions need and value within an industry. The
nature of the industry itself is going to change.

Who is going to pick BIM up and run with it? Do you need to keep up with
them? Should you be involved in designing and developing such software or
simply using it! Where is BIM unwarranted? Will changes to industry make BIM
viable, where it wasn't previously?

An more questions besides?

Regards
Steven CONRAD Harrison