Re: Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

CAD first arrived over twenty years ago, and there are still a small number of architects and designers who do only very small projects that only do hand drafting. Some of my work goes out as hand drawn, and I'm a "young" guy who can draft as fast or faster than my CAD tech.

I'm curious if you lay out all of the HVAC runs and plumbing in BIM, or are just using it to do a 3D cad model so that your sections are associative? Also, will you pay me substantially the same fee I currently get, or do you expect a discount because I'm spending only half the time on any given project?

I know that last one sounds like a lazy hourly-employee jibe. But from a business standpoint, if I'm going to invest $80,000 in time, software, and training, I expect a bottom line return. I need to know that my payback period is not just finite but reasonable. When I'm comfortable that the cost justifies the return, I'll be all over it.

Jordan