Re: Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

And there we have the biggest problem.

Untrained (as engineers) people doing the FEM modelling!!! It is almost impossible to ensure that a complex FEM model you have not generated yourself is correct. The time required would be more than that needed to create the model in the first place.

About 15 years ago I heard of companies using draftsmen doing modelling for Staad runs for multi-storey buildings because they were better at it than engineers and cheaper per hour as well. It got to the point that no engineer ever looked at the design, because the draftsman transferred the design results straight to drawings and then the engineer signed the drawing. The computer had done it all so it must be right and the draftsman new how to detail so no problem.

Unfortunately, too many people seem to think that software is replacing the need for engineers to design. It is really just the opposite. They are complex calculators and require even more engineering knowledge and effort because of the amount data generated and the complexity of the results. FEM is good but only in the hands of the most experienced engineers. Instead we give it to the least experienced because they are better with computers. Too bad they do not know what they are doing and will never learn.