Re: Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

I have never said to let the Cad person do the FEM analysis.  I only said to set it up.  It is something that is not so difficult to teach.  You give instructions, step by step, and then you proceed.  If they can only accomplish one task, then that is all that you take from them.  There are many children out there with great intelligence.  But people do not think about this.

If you call people monkeys, you are already throwing a wrench at yourself.  If you call them people, and see them as young adults with a heart just like yours, then you can see that we all want to work hard.  However, the opportunities are not available.  So people get sent to war or feed others McDonald's hamburgers to contribute to the epidemic of Diabetes and obesity.  This is the way people deal with their ideas about other people that they do not understand.

Children are brilliant if you allow them to be.  It takes hard work to see this, but it pays off in the end.  A little bit of effort goes along way.

When we build walls, there are only walls, when we build bridges, everyone can cross.

On 12/15/06, Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com> wrote:

On Dec 15, 2006, at 4:01 PM, refugio rochin wrote:

>  FEM is easy to setup. It is not complicated.

Nonsense.  If FEA results are to be trusted, the person doing the
modeling needs to understand the physics of the problem. Nowhere is
this more true than with seismic work, but it's pretty much true for
any engineering analysis. You can't separate the model from the physics
that the model is supposed to mimic. Some kid who doesn't understand
the notion of a load path or modal response combination is likely to
ignore or misinterpret important design features because he doesn't
understand their significance.

It's like that with CAD, too. Too many think that an engineering design
is just the pictures--it isn't. It's an organized communication of
information required to produce an artifact. If it's not organized and
unambiguous, things get screwed up and left out. You can't just put a
CAD monkey in front of a monitor and expect engineering design.

CAD and FEA are tools, not solutions. The effectiveness of a tool
depends on the abilities of the individual using it.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com   | this distance" (last words of Gen.
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org