Re: Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

On Dec 15, 2006, at 6:42 PM, refugio rochin wrote:

Children are brilliant if you allow them to be.  It takes hard work to see this, but it pays off in the end.  A little bit of effort goes along way.
Don't preach to me about children. I have 3 grown-up and 4 grandchildren. I was one once. Without a doubt my grand-daughters are the cleverest, most charming people who ever drew breath. Neither can my kids who share 6 languages 4 degrees, 1 phi beta kappa 2 cum laud and have lived in 4 different countries. Yeah, I am bragging, but smart, educated and experienced as they are they still can't set up FEA or run a response spectrum analysis. That takes education and experience, which they all have, but just not in the fields where they've learned to make use of normal mode theory or define out a load path.

I love children and puppies and I believe everyone deserves a chance in life, not just because I'm a bleeding heart tax-and-spend liberal democrat, but because I got plenty of breaks myself. I was in the co-op program in school and I worked alongside engineers, most of whom were very generous with their time when I had questions. In turn, I helped more than a few younger engineers along in return over the past 45 years. What I did not do was show what I splendid fellow I am by giving people work they weren't qualified to handle. Anyone who does not know the requisite physics isn't qualified to do anything with FEA. Setting up, validating and trouble shooting a finite element model may look simple, but it isn't. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/