Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 7:52 PM
Subject: Re: Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

Steve-
Don't twist Chris' words. What he is saying is that you shouldn't entrust complex analyses to those who aren't qualified. That includes a number of licensed engineers in the case of finite element analysis IMHO.  The old computer adage of Garbage in, Garbage out applies and structures being subjected to such analyses usually present significant public safety issues.

It is important for us to teach the younger, and yes, the older generation, how to competently do such analyses, not simply give them the problem and walk away.

What Chris did describe is a mentoring attitude that is highly commendable and necessary for protecting the quality of the engineering profession so that we truly serve society as a whole in a competent, capable manner.
Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley CA