Re: Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

Oh, you've gone and done it now. Bill was sleeping quietly, lurking. Now you've woken him up.

For what it's worth, I agree with you, though I'd substitute pencil and paper for a slide rule (I own one, but don't know how to use it). If you can't do it by hand, you probably shouldn't be doing it on a computer. That's not to say you should do it by hand - just that you could do it if you had to.

Some might say that our drawings would look better if the freshly-minted cad-techs knew how to draft with a pencil or pen. Based on the "old" (and modern) hand drawings we get, and how much easier they are to read than the two-line-weight plots I'd get if I didn't put thickness notes on my sketches/markups, I think I'm in that camp.

I sketched some details for local designer to include on his plans - he's got an MA in architecture, and does residential plans with a pencil.  He brought the finished details by for me to check. Now, I'm pretty good with cad, but the stuff he did with a pencil made me jealous. Not only was it aesthetically pleasing, but is was more readable than my pixel-perfect cad prints.
Jordan

Bill Polhemus wrote:
S. Gordin wrote:
In other words, any computer-aided design should not be entrusted into individuals who cannot do the same with a slide rule only.
I have no clue how to use a slide-rule.

I'd better go back and void every calculation I ever did.

Oh, and cancel all the math classes I'm currently teaching at the local community college.