Re: Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

Yes, just yesterday, I came across our only other structural engineer on the island.  He is of the older generation, and he had something interesting to say, kind of like what Jordan is saying.

Perhaps it will bring up some more topics.

He was discussing how he feels there is a very great difference between the message of a hand drawing, and a hand calculation, versus the computer age drawings and drafting.  He really feels there is a distinct difference.  For me, I came across it when I found myself in a more mechanical engineering course than a structural engineering course, having to work out monte carlo estimations and so forth.  Not my cup of tea.  I just found there was so much more computer oriented work than in the main portion of Structural engineering.

Eventually I succumbed to the computer, and now I work well with it.  But I think there is definitely a change.  There is a kind of separation between the person and the paper that takes place, and then there is submission to the computer.  At least that is how it feels.  We have submitted, because we have to produce faster.  We don't have enough fingers and hands to create the volume.

I think the designers that have carried out hand-calculations for their whole lives, probaby have a great deal to contribute to this question I have about checking.  What are ways that people check the integrity of a project when they get it already put together by an assistant engineer?

aside:  I also know about Taoism, and the cycle...  wood,fire, earth, metal, water... and repeat  / and, metal chops wood.