RE: Blast Resistant Design

Thanks Harold,
That's a lot of information to go by.
S.Sehdev

"Harold Sprague" <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
12/18/2006 12:49 PM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
RE: Blast Resistant Design

This is a huge area of study and there is a large difference in what you are
doing.  More specifics must be evaluated such as: petrochemical blasts
versus high explosive blasts (duration), ground shock or airblast, primary
or secondary fragments, lethality, structural response, etc.  ASCE has some
info on petrochemical blasts and ASCE is developing a Blast Standard and
Commentary.  It will be released in 2007.  The standard will cover both.

Blast design is not widely taught and is often applied incorrectly.

The old standard for blast design is the TM 5-1300 Structures to Resist the
Effects of Accidental Explosions.  If you are looking at high explosive
blast, contact the Protective Design Center US Army Corps of Engineers,
Omaha, NE.

If this is something serious, employ the services of
Karagozian and Case
Hinman Consulting
Weidlinger
ARA
We at Black & Veatch also provide these services.

Many of our references are not available to the public. Some of the software
used is:
Blast X - to characterize the blast waves
LS Dyna - to characterize the blast effects on structures

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: Sanjay.Sehdev(--nospam--at)fluor.com
>To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>Subject: Blast Resistant Design
>Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:49:37 +0530
>
>Hi
>I am looking for a good book or software to  design a steel frame work to
>resist blast load. Can anybody give me a lead?
>Sanjay
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>The information transmitted is intended only for the person
>or entity to which it is addressed and may contain proprietary,
>business-confidential and/or privileged material.
>If you are not the intended recipient of this message you
>are hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission,
>dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any action taken
>in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you received
>this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
>material from any computer.  Any views expressed in this message
>are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect
>the views of the company.

http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/direct/01/?href="">

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org