Re: Design Checking - Here and Now and Future of Engineering

I think the opposite is true with BIM, and it suggests that we eliminate drafters in favor of engineers on the computer.  Who else will understand how to layout beams, connections, ductwork, and plumbing so that it forms a cohesive whole?  The process requires a level of understanding of both the building process and building functioning which is, quite honestly, beyond most drafters and entry-level engineers.

Mechanical solid modeling has the same problems. Anyone make a plate with three equally spaced holes in it. Only the designer of the whole assembly knows that two of those holes mate with one part which has a reference surface on one side of the plate, and the third hole mates with a different part, but must be in-line with one (but not necessarily both) of the other two holes. That may not matter, but what if the spec changes and the first mating part needs to shift a bit and rotate slightly?  The model that the assembly designer built will automatically update; the model the drafter built will have to be re-created essentially from scratch.

In a perfect BIM world, there would be no reason for me to have a drafter.  I would cut a section in the model, and label it up on the section. I suppose if I had fifteen engineers it might be worthwhile having a single "layout" person to collate the sheets into a set, make the title blocks match, print sets, and bind/ship them out.

This is an entirely different discussion, but most people don't want to absorb these smart youngsters because they already know it all. They like computers, and are good at them, because unlike whn we were kids, computers are entertainment to them.  They would like to get paid like their parents while sitting at their desks reading and responding to emails and IM with their friends all day. Um...I think I'd better get back to work ;-)
Jordan

refugio rochin wrote:
My own provocation for the question:

I raised this question, because I think that a company could emply younger people to do drafting, modeling and BIM.  There are many young students just out of high school that cannot afford to go to University to study, and they are caught in limbo.  They may end up going to Army or Navy or MacDonalds, if they don't get a decent job.  Many youngsters are wonderful with computers, love computer games, but they can't put any of it to work, because there are corporations that do not absorb such smart children without the foundation to begin University.

So, I can very well imagine, that we could put these students to learn CAD and FEM modeling, and even BIM, they would earn a wage that suits a youngster in this position, not an engineers wage.  And then the best role that an engineer with skills could put forth, is a variety of checks that would ensure the overall design of the structure.  I think we could put many people to work that need jobs, and still keep the flow of work and design for engineers.

I live in a small country.  I have been here two years.  I have seen it as a microcosm.  There are many people here, because of the size of the island, that they take up employment with their families, learn the ropes, and then design and build.  There are many people that have degrees, but surely some of them are more qualified than others.  But it brings up the point, that this is a way to generate work, and to generate results.  I think overall, in the US and in different parts of the world, there truly needs to be people taking a step back, and looking at things a little more slowly.  Life does not need to be so fast.  Many people are left behind because of it.  And there are many things that are not necessities.  We truly need to find what is truly necessary, and then move to make decisions.

I can truly imagine people reaching down into the schools, into the youth, stepping back to help our children grow better, instead of leaving a vast number in daycares just 3 months after birth, to be monitored with a 5 to 1 to 10 to 1 or worse kid to adult ratio, put in front of TVs to learn.  Life needs to change.  There are ways to do it.  And we as engineers can learn new methods to accommodate our youngsters.  We have the tools, the intelligence, I say we make some shifts.

I enjoy the proverb "It takes a village to raise a child".  It is profound.

From: "Jordan Truesdell, PE" < seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com>
> BIM  for projects less than $5M is probably money flushed down a toilet.

I have a Merrit handbook from 1970 which explained that if the design fee is
less than a million dollars, the use of a computer will not be viable!

Masroor

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org