Footing protection

I’m constructing a building Northern Cal now and am interested in some strategies for protection of footing holes.  From now until April, I’m likely to get rain every day or two.   I’m thinking of overexing the footings about 4 inches deeper, draping visqueen down into the hole and out around it a few feet and then filling the bottom with 4” of gravel.  In this way, rain water can be pumped cleanly and the walls of the footing excavation are protected from sloughing into the hole and caving, rebar is protected from mud, the rodbusters have a clean gravel surface to work on and all, hopefully will be well.  Footings are poured over the gravel and the visqueen remains in place after the pour.

Anyone see any structural issues with this idea?  Anyone have a better strategy?

Don