re: headed studs

Sanjay,
Headed studs are welded with a gun, and as I understand it this results in a full penetration weld at the end of the stud to the base steel. The strength of the weld is equal to that of the stud itself.

I would think the easiest method is to weld the studs onto the plates, then have the whole assembly hot dip galvanized. Besides problems (perhaps) with getting headed studs that are already galvanized, welding of galv material is not reccomended. Among other things I know it releases dangerous chemical vapors from the zinc. This is not really my area of expertise. AISC.org has all kinds of info on steel, maybe they also cover these topics. Or wait until some of the more knowledgable listees come back from vacation :)

Regards,
Andrew

ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC
Lake Mary, FL