re: railroad ties

Thanks for all of the input on railroad ties. It is of course not my decision to use them, it is a school board that has been talked into it by somebody. The contractor and I wanted to use CMU or concrete for the retaining wall.... I was sent a table of allowable bending stresses for railroad ties. Using those values and a 7"x9" tie, it is only at about 5% of the allowable. A brand new #2 S. Pine 2x8 would have worked. So I am not too worried about it, and I will put some notes about defects in the wood, etc...

Thanks for your help guys.
Andrew

Andrew Kester, PE
ADK Structural Engineering, PLLC