Re: lateral torsional buckling really happens!

Some of the textbooks mention that if the load is transferred to the compression flange of the beam the slightest of friction is sufficient to prevent lateral torsional buckling . As a hypothetical case a chequered plate resting on a beam without any lateral connection should not be able to cause any lateral buckling. Anybody would like to throw some light on this.
For a structure with moment frame in one direction and bracing in the other the outer flanges of the columns are not normally restrained anywhere(assuming the bracing not connected to the flanges. What effective length of the outer flange should normally be assumed in this case.
Sanjay

"refugio rochin" <fugeeo(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
01/03/2007 12:48 AM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Re: lateral torsional buckling really happens!

Andrew, if you have any pics, please put me on your send to list.  I too work in hurricane Caribbean.  I have never really seen the effects up close not being from these parts.  I would appreciate a look see.
Refugio