RE: seaint Digest for 2 Jan 2007

Josh

Is that an explicit rejection of the inflexion point by AISC. I would be
interested to know titles of such papers.

Here in Australia our steel structures code (AS4100) only uses physical
restraints to mark the ends of segments being checked. But our cold-formed
steel structures code (AS4600) which is supposedly based on the AISI
specification uses the inflexion point to define a segment being checked.

Other than the codes account for the distribution of moment slightly
differently, I've never understood why the inflexion point is acceptable for
sections more prone to flexural-lateral-buckling and
flexural-torsional-buckling, and seemingly not acceptable for sections less
prone.

Clearly at the inflexion point, a compression flange has changed to a
tension flange, so why would the plate buckling length (for flange and
portion of web) be any greater than the length of such segment? Depending on
the assumed end conditions for the column analogy the effective length may
be much greater than the segment. The inflexion point is not however
considered a point of torsion restraint.

So typically have lengths:
Lx[XX axis - strong] = span
Ly[YY axis - weak] = length of segment between inflexion points and or
physical restraints.
Lz[ZZ axis - torsion] = span

Though some references suggest no reason that Lz shouldn't equal the smaller
Ly value. I don't adopt that approach if I have to set Lz=Ly then, I provide
a fly-brace to provide torsional restraint.

Some references also suggest that girts/purlins provide full restraint and
therefore imply only need to check the un-restrained inner flange. That also
seems poor practice, since it may not hold true, and depending on how the
girt/purlins are connected, they may not provide any torsional restraint.

It as always seemed to me that the adequacy of restraint, is a lot more
subjective than it ought to be.

Regards
Steven CONRAD Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust