Re: concrete topping on plywood floor sheathing

The concrete topping should be disregarded in terms of shear capacity.  there is likely to be a plastic layer on top of the wood, the topping is unreinforced (other than perhaps fibers) and the mix normally used is likely to shrink and crack.
regards,
Martin W. Johnson, S.E., SECB
Director, ABS Consulting, Inc.
Irvine, Calif.
(714) 734-4242

"Bruce Holcomb" <bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com>

01/04/2007 01:58 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
concrete topping on plywood floor sheathing

I’m looking for design information for concrete topping over plywood floor sheathing, but haven’t found anything.  Typically, I haven’t needed to consider any shear capacity from the topping, but I have a project that I am not getting enough capacity from the plywood and thought I’d explore the shear capacity of the topping.  Can this be done?  Anybody know what computer program to use?  (Just kidding… I mean do you know of any references?)  And how do I get the shear load into / out of the concrete topping?  Thanks!

Bruce D. Holcomb, PE, SE
Vice President & Structural Engineer
Tel: 417.865.6100
Dir: 417.521.6125