From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 1:25 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Welded elbows in carbon steel pipes

Jorge,

        I'm not really a piping expert; but I have worked on enough petrochemical projects to know that there is a lot more to piping than casual observations would reveal.  Petrochemical piping is designed to ANSI standards while water piping to different standards (AWWAA or some such standard, I believe).  You may want to find an expert in this field to help you.  I don't mean to belittle your skills; but the tone of your posting suggests that you may need quite a bit of help.

        As far as elbows are concerned, you always have the option of using multi segmental miter cut welded elbows, whereby you can get any angle you could possibly want; this is a simple part of the problem.

        If you have miles of pipeline you are going to need expansion loops to take care of thermal stresses, roadway crossings, river crossings, and, perhaps, more.  This is the more difficult part of the problem.

        A word of warning about piping designers and piping engineers.  These people control the development of industrial projects in much the same way that architects control the development of residential and commercial projects.  And many of them don't have any greater respect for structural engineers than architects do.

        This sounds like a great project.  If I were a few years younger I could be envious.  Good luck with it.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson