From: "Christopher Wright" <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: Welded elbows in carbon steel pipes

On Jan 4, 2007, at 10:11 PM, Daryl Richardson wrote:

> If I'm out of line on the subject just tell me and I will have nothing
> more to say on the subject.
You're by no means out of line. There's an unfortunate impression going
around that a PC and an AutoCAD license will turn any computer gamer
into an engineer, and I think it's high time that people learn that
engineering requires training, experience, initiative, discipline,
organizational skills and a great deal of self-study.

The list gets way too many posts in the general vein of, 'I'm new to
piping design, will someone please tell me the web page that tells all
about…' When I see posts like this I can't help wondering who's
actually in charge of the project--Why is there no senior designer near
enough to ask what is a valve? Is the person unable to use the Internet
to search out answers? what kind of an individual call himself a piping
designer but doesn't understand the most fundamental mechanics of
process piping? I also wonder how a client might react if I told him
that the design detail that just blew came from a guy I talked to on
the Internet one night.

I typically don't respond to that kind of question, not because I never
had to ask newb-level questions, or because the english isn't
absolutely perfect but because the question itself implies that the
poster hasn't made the vaguest effort to help himself--so why should I
bother?

I've probably hurt some feelings with the foregoing, but in my own
defense, I think I've paid enough dues in the  form of useful answers
to intelligent questions so I can get peeved at the unintelligent ones.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/