Re: Welded elbows in carbon steel pipes

Syed ,

I agree that the situation is become much worse but I do not agree wish your reason for it. I now develop engineering computer software for a living so I should be biased the other way but I hate where structural engineering is headed at the moment. I put the blame in 2 main areas

1 Educational institutions whose idea of teaching the basics of design is to show people how to start up a computer program. This is producing a generation of engineers who have 2 basic problems. first they do not understand what they are really doing and secondly they can produce something they call a design without this understanding and think they know what they are doing and are designers. As Christopher indicated, a lot of the questions asked on engineering sites are extremely worrying in terms of what they indicate about the questioners understanding of design.

2 Consultants who expect engineers to come out of university ready to produce complete designs using that software. This is normally because the senior engineers do not understand the proper use of software or they want to make a quick buck. Current fee scales do not help but that is the consultants fault.