Re: Aluminum Rectangular Tubing

Gerard-

6061 is the alloy number.......the suffix T4,  T6 is the temper designation

Most of the extruded aluminum sections are 6061-T6 or 6063-T6 (at least in SoCal)  the 6000 series alloys are weldable, hove decent strength & corrosion resistant.

At my local supplier "THE MOST COMMON aluminum for 2x2 square tubes."

would be square corners & 6061-T6 (or 6063-T6)

In my experience nearly all aluminum sections are extruded (even the ones that look like rolled steel sections)....aluminum extrusion is cheap & easy

Just to throw you a curve ball......

architectural aluminum is often 5000 series  like 5052....better corrosion resistance than 6000 series

http://www.metalreference.com/INFO_Aluminum.html

more general flavor info

short answer   6061-T6 is probably fine unless you've got a corrosive environment

I assume the item will be anodized?

cheers
Bob