Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Aluminum Rectangular Tubing

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
What are you using it for?  Typical "architectural" extrusion which are commony used for railings, curtain wall etc have Fy = 110MPa and known as 6063-T5.
6061-T6 is "structural tubing with typical Fy=240MPa.  If you are doing a "structural" job be careful which one you get.  Remember that welding could penalize you up to 30% of Fy.

Thor Tandy P.Eng MIStructE
Victoria, BC
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: Aluminum Rectangular Tubing

To follow up, from CBC Table 20-II-A,

It appears that "DRAWN TUBE" is 6061-T6

Is that the common aluminum type I should be using?

thanks again.

On 1/5/07, Gerard Madden, SE <gmse4603(--nospam--at)> wrote:
Couple of quick questions.

What is the alloy number in the 6061 series that is common used for 2" - 4" square and rectangular aluminum tubes? Is it 6061-T1 or -T5 ? Or some other one?

I went to Alcoa's website and they have good info, but they have Rectangular Tubes with Rounded Edges and and Rectangular Tubes with Square Edges. Both are extruded. not sure which one is more common.

Basically, what I'm after is THE MOST COMMON aluminum for 2x2 square tubes. So I'm not sure which alloy that is and which edge type. I take it that all aluminum shapes are extruded, not hot-rolled like steel.

This is for some small decorative attachment mountings for a building.