RE: UBC DRIFT VERSUS CBC DRIFT

The bottom line is that Delta sub s used in drift evaluation is, and has always been, intended to be at strength level. So if you have done your analysis with allowable stress load combination you need to magnify your calculated drift by 1.4 to get Delta sub s and then proceed with calculating Delta sub m.

Ben Yousefi, SE

Santa Monica, CA

From: David Topete [mailto:dtopete(--nospam--at)gfdseng.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 9:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: UBC DRIFT VERSUS CBC DRIFT

I have the 2001 CBC.  Needed it for the SE exam.  I checked the ICC website that Mr. hunt was nice enough to link….  Haven’t seen anything on the specific reference.  Again, I don’t think a plan checker would see an issue.  If Ben Yousefi, or others, can chime in…

David A. Topete, SE

Structural Engineer

GFDS Engineers

543 Howard St., First Floor