Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: building within a building - code separation requirements?????

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
CBC 2001 1633.2.11

Mark E. Deardorff

Structural Engineer

3434 4th Ave

San Diego, CA 92103

P 619.299.5550 x348

F 619.299.9934



From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 3:12 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: building within a building - code separation requirements?????

I can?t recall the section of code (California Building Code or UBC 97) that provides the guidelines for calculate building separation due to drift. I have a large wood framed building. There will be a Steel Building (such as the General Building or one of the many proprietary low cost steel buildings) in the middle of the wood structure. The overall height of the wood building is 24-feet. I need to calculate the required separation between the two structures. The steel building manufacturer provided the deflection due to wind and seismic. I can argue out the wind loads since the building is not exposed to wind and the wood shell structure is not open to the outside. This is a Church and the steel building will be used as an auditorium according to the architects design). I can calculate the drift of the wood building and if necessary stiffen the wood building using a proprietary shear walls such as the Hardy Frames and Panels. Generally the drift on these at full load is close to ¼?. The roof structures do not touch so that each structure is considered independent.

I had a few choice to make:

1. Tie the building together and transfer the shear of the steel building into the wood structure (the actual stiffer structure), OR

2. Keeping the buildings separate and working out the required separation requirements to prevent pounding.


Can someone provide me with the reference in the code to building separation requirements?