Re: bolts in bending

On Jan 10, 2007, at 9:00 AM, Andrew Kester, PE wrote:

I have a connection in which the bolts will be subject to shear and bending because of a cantilever. I have looked in the AISC Manual and online,
The preload in a bolt won't counteract the fatigue effects of a bending load, so you need to do a complete fatigue analysis including the efects of the thread root stress concentration. You'll find that the bolts will fail very quickly in fatigue

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com       | this distance"   (last words of Gen.